Home    About    Tutorials    Recipes    Quilts    Quiet Books    Shop          
        
Loading...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mommy's Purse






Since I made Amy Butler Birdie Sling bags for my sisters and myself (see here, here, here, and here), Mom wanted one, too. Except she wanted a zipper in hers and she is kinda picky with colors and patterns, so I drug my feet for a long time. Last week, I got her to pick her own fabric out, and then she decided a magnetic snap closure would be good enough.

I love the crisp, summer colors here with the aquas and blues. It still has some browns to make it more neutral and easier to match, though. I made the downsized version of the Birdie Sling like I made for my sister-in-law for Christmas. I added some extra pockets and loops on the inside, as well as the magnetic snap (which I should have put closer to the top= lesson learned). I think next time I will make the shoulder strap a little narrower, too.

It is HOT here, and I didn't want to leave the air conditioning in my bedroom sewing corner, which is why it has gotten done so quickly. I anticipate a lot more sewing tomorrow, too! :)

11 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

Great bag!

<><

AMKreations said...

It's beautiful...and I'm glad she consented to the snap. I'm not sure how you would add a zipper to that! =) Great job, as always. Keep cool...it's only getting hotter!

Renee said...

I love the purse! My mom always wants a zipper also and it makes it very difficult. I've done it, but I wish she would consent to a snap also!

Chef in Training said...

I love this! You did an amazing job! It is darling! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

Great job on sewing the purse! I found you via It's Sew Stinkin Cute link party. I'm your newest follower and I'd love for you to link this up at Sew Woodsy

KAT said...

love the color and the pattern so much
Thanks for sharing
KAT

AllieMakes! said...

Very sweet! Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love the downsized version of the bag. How did you do that? I have the pattern, just wasn't sure on how to make it smaller. Also, any thoughts on how to make the straps longer? I would like to be able to wear the straps across my body. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

Hi, Anonymous! Hoping you check back here...
I just took the pattern and made it come in a few inches all around for the bottom- you just have to make sure that the pleated outside is the same width as the lining. I also made the band narrower and, again, the same to width as the lining. I made the strap a little thinner, too, and shortened by taking a bit off of the bottom, but if you want to make it longer I would make the middle of the strap stretch out longer and make it straight in the middle section. I hope this helps!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lindsay! :)

Pam said...

Love, love, love the fabric! I'll have to check out this pattern...

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails